Look after your number one asset (YOU!)
The most important asset in your business is you! While I would hazard a guess that while you are happy to invest time into ensuring your other business assets are in tip-top condition, investing time in looking after yourself perhaps sometimes slips down the priority list.
And the busier life becomes, the more likely this is to happen.
Yet, this makes crazy business sense. If you become ill or unwell, what happens to your business? Or will neglecting yourself now have a longer time side effect which may creep up in the future?
Happily, there are plenty of things you can do to look after yourself which will take very little time from your day.
Build a Well Being Routine
One way to do is to build a well being routine into your daily schedule. Don’t worry, this is nowhere near as difficult as it may seem. Here are some resources to help you get started:
- Drink Enough Water – keeping hydrated is important on so many levels. Happily, there are a large number of apps available which will help you keep track of how much water you are drinking during the day. Check out the app store for your device or take a look at a desktop version. This free drinking water tracker from Brita will work on any operating system.
- Short Workouts – YouTube really is the friend of any busy entrepreneur. You will find an eye-watering large selection of workout videos which provide everything from a brisk 10 minute walking workout through to a Zumba masterclass. Look for short sessions that will fit in with both your exercise space and your fitness level. Look for short workouts and make a playlist so you always have a few short workouts to hand which you can squeeze into any day. If you don’t currently have exercise in your daily routine here’s a challenge for you! Here’s a simple 15 minute walking workout – try and add this into your day today to set the exercise ball rolling, or check out my YouTube playlist of workouts which are less than 15 minutes and don’t require any equipment.
- At Desk Exercise – there are a surprising number of exercises that can be done at your desk – and some can be done without leaving your chair! Here are six at-desk workouts to get you started.
- Walk or Run – taking a break for a walk, jog or short run is a great way to get exercise and also to clear the mind. You can turn this into productive time by loading up your phone with your favorite podcasts. This can make a great start to the day.
- Meditation – many entrepreneurs start the day with meditation. This short video talks about how proactive entrepreneurs start their day with mediation to take control of the day.
- Regular Breaks – there are many reasons why regular breaks are important – however one very good one is that it can help with productivity. Productivity methods such as the Pomodoro technique entail working for a set period of time followed by a short break (which could also be used to do one of the short workouts above). This is a great way to help focus – particularly when working on less favorite tasks. You have a period of time in which to really double-down and focus, knowing that you will have a scheduled break. If you would like to know more about the Pomodoro technique, this is a useful article and you’ll find a range of timers for both devices and desktop. This is a free online timer if you’d like to give this a try.
These are a few ideas to help you balance looking after yourself with creating a successful business. If you have any suggestions to add to this, do leave a comment below and share with others 🙂